How to choose the perfect colour to paint the interior of your house
Choosing the right colour to paint the inside of your house can be a time consuming and daunting task. There are so many colours to choose from and you can often find yourself changing your mind multiple times before finalising a decision. This blog is designed to make your colour selection process easier, with some tips and factors to consider when it comes to re-painting your house. There’s also a list of some popular and trusted paint brands included in this blog if you’re unsure as to which brands have a good and trusted reputation.
Consider the natural lighting
Natural light plays a significant role in how colours will appear in a room. Rooms with a lot of natural light tend to show colour far more vibrantly, so if you were thinking of selecting a reasonably bright colour to paint the walls of a room which possesses a lot of natural light, then you need to be aware that the colour is likely to seem even brighter in that specific room. If you’re a fan of darker colours, then it might be a great idea to use a darker colour to paint a room with plenty of natural light because it will enhance the dark shades and add some subtle vibrancy as well. Whereas, dimly lit rooms may require lighter colours to gloss it up and change the mood of the room.
Think about the function
The purpose of a room can most certainly influences its colour choice. For example, a bedroom may benefit more from soothing and relaxing tones, as in general it’s a place for relaxation and doesn’t involve many loud colours. Whereas a dining room may need a sophisticated colour scheme or the use of refined wallpaper to provide the perfect setting for satisfying your appetite or a nice cosy environment. The colour scheme of a kitchen is one that is going to be viewed an awful lot so you may decide you want warm and neutral colours as they provide a welcoming atmosphere as well as providing a fabulous foundation for kitchen units and accessories to stand out. It’s always good to understand the function and mood you want to create in a room before selecting the colour scheme as it provides the perfect platform for the decisions you’ll make.
Experiment with samples
Samples are an excellent way to test how different shades may look in your home before coming to a final decision. Try out a selection of shades and hues on a small section of wall, then ensure you observe them carefully. See how they look in different lighting conditions, next to different items of furniture, kitchen units and other décor. Then you can really begin to have an understanding of how that colour will appear in daily life should you make it your colour of choice. It could also be a good idea to ask opinions of other people you share the house with or close friends/family who visit regularly.
Consult a professional
If you really are unsure and have tried all of the other tips in this blog but still find yourself stuck over a final decision then it’s probably a good idea just to get in touch with a professional. Not only will they have many years of experience working with a whole range of colour but they will also possess a great understanding of which particular shades have best success in different rooms. They’ll also know how each room connects to the others in terms of colour and style, creating a cohesive flow throughout the house.
Here at CAL we have been in this business for many years now and uphold an extremely professional standard of painting and decorating, so if you would like professional advice and someone to carry out the work for you to an excellent standard, then please get in touch today.
Some trusted paint brands in the UK
If you’re struggling to decide which brand to use then here are a number of highly rated paint brands in the UK:
1. Dulux – this is one of the most well-known and trusted paint brands in the UK. They offer a wide range of interior and exterior paints including emulsion, gloss, and stain finishes. Their products are known for their durability and ease of use.
2. Farrow & Ball – this is a premium paint brand that offers high-quality, eco-friendly paints. Their products are made with natural pigments and are known for their depth of colour and smooth finish.
3. Crown – this is another popular paint brand in the UK which offers a range of interior and exterior paints. They’re known for quality products at an affordable price.
4. Little Greene – this is another high-end paint brand that offers eco-friendly, premium quality paints. They have a reputation for their range of classic, contemporary colours as well as their depth of colour and excellent coverage.
5. Johnstone’s – they’re a trusted paint brand that offers of large range of colour for the interior and exterior of your property, with their products being known for durability and coverage.
These are just a selection of the many trusted paint brands available in the UK, it’s always a good idea to do your research and read a number of reviews before making a purchase. You can always consult us here at CAL to ensure that you’re getting a quality product that meets your needs and home functions.